Ignoring a few hiccups, my eyeballing and guestimation errors (more at the end of the post), my apartment is finally feeling a little more livable, while it’s far from what I have envisioned, I’m finally starting to settle in.
Prior to all the hiccups I’d volunteered to host our mission trip debrief at my new pad, oh boy!!! I’m so thankful that the team had come up with the brilliant idea of having wollamssam for the debrief which really involves not much on site cooking at all =)
Wollamssam is the Korean version of Vietnamese rice paper roll, while the Vietnamese rice paper roll is usually simpler and lighter, wollamsam is typically more hearty where you can add anything to the roll.
- Fish Sauce
- Fresh lemon Juice
- Pineapple Juice (from can)
- Blend small apple wedge
- Fresh viet/thai chillis (these are HOT so chop up and add to sauce bowls).
- Chop up coriander stalks and add to sauce at the end (optional for those who can’t stand coriander)
- Avocado (please pick ripe ones)
- Meat (preferably bulgogi)
- Coriander (Cilantro)
- Pineapple (From can)
- Egg strips (break eggs into a bowl, season with salt and pepper, and fry one thin layer at a time on a frying pan. Remove and slice into finger-length strips.)
- Crab stick (tear into strips)
- Spanish onion
Other optional ingredients
- Capsicum (Peppers)
- Bean Sprouts
- Fish Cake
- Rice noodles
- Alfalfa sprouts
And the soul of the dish- rice paper
Slice all the vegetables thinly into finger lengths, wash the herbs. Place ingredients onto big plates, separating meat from vegetables and put bowls of sauce along to table for sharing.
Get a shallow, yet wide bowl/ plate and fill it with cold drinking water for dipping rice paper.
Steps to insanely delicious wollamsam
- Dip dry rice paper sheet into water for a second, just enough where water covered every surface
2. While the paper is still hard, place the now damp rice paper sheet onto the strainer plate. The strainer plate is key, it is a plastic plate with holes in it which allows excess water to be drained from the rice paper.
3. Put leaves/ herbs in the middle of the rice paper and start stacking up your desired ingredients
4. Add sauce and roll it up like a kebab
Tada!! There you’ll get your customized wollamssam =)
Back to the eyeballing and guestimation errors I mentioned earlier…
I’ve intended to get a bench for my dining table
I’m not quite sure what I was thinking or whether I was even thinking when I bought the bench but when it arrived at my house I realized it was much wider than my dining table (-_-“)
Frd: did u not measure it before u bought it?
V: I eyeballed it (with much confidence)
Frd: (-_-“) you with the amazing sense of space who still walk into walls coz u think u can fit thru the gap?!
AND I realized now that the table and the bench are side by side that the color is completely different. AMAZING!
And just as u think I do not have a measuring tape at home, I do. In fact, I measured this space where the wardrobe was supposed to fit but because I’m vertically challenged, I guesstimated the last few inches and the wardrobe ended up being just half an inch too tall to fit into that space… another epic fail.. I should write a blog about what NOT to do.. me thinks